Prior Lake Mediation Attorneys

I Have To Attend An “ICMC” What Is That?

When couples get to divorce court, they find that they are required to attend various meetings. The meetings are labeled in terms that even the lawyers have trouble remembering.

An ICMC stands for Initial Case Management Conference. It is a meeting. Plain and simple, you, your attorney, your spouse and that person’s attorney, go to District Court. You will meet the Judge that is now your Judge until you are divorced. During this meeting, the Judge will ask your lawyer and you questions. The questions are designed to find out, what are the areas you and your spouse do not agree upon. After that information comes to light, the Court will inquire as to what type of ADR- ( here we go again) ( Alternative Dispute Resolution) method you would like to participate in with your spouse and attorney. You may attend an SENE or FENE or both. What??????

Yes, more letters standing for more meetings. The SENE and FENE are early neutral evaluations, one dealing with children and one dealing with money. S= social and F= financial. The person conducting these evaluations is an attorney, experienced in family law, such as our firm. That person will tell you, based upon his/her experiences, what will likely happen to you in Court.

Clear as mud right? Just know that the faster you attend the meetings, and the more you listen, the faster your divorce will be over. Good Luck.

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Alternative Dispute Resolution, Mediation, FENE, & SENE

What is all of this?

All of the above titles refer to a “neutral” process. The neutral process is designed to help people in divorce or custody matters, finds a way to settle their case, without having the Court decide the case.

Why do you want to avoid having the Court decide your case? The biggest reason is the court does not want to decide your case. That should be reason enough. Why would you want a person that does not want to decide how your children will live or your money will be spent, making those decisions????

Because the Judge really does not wish to decide your case, and most people are happier when they decide their own cases, various processes have been developed over the years to help people come to an agreement concerning their divorce or custody matter.

All of these alternative processes are lumped under the category Alternative Dispute Resolution. (ADR) The first and foremost alternative process is called: Mediation.

Mediation – Rule 114 of the Minnesota Rules of Court require parties to a law suit to attempt to settle their case in mediation. In mediation the neutral, in this case Deb Julius, works with you and the other party, to come to an agreement that resolves your issues. Mediation involves compromise. It involves hearing the other person out and letting them talk. You may have your attorney with you when you come to mediation.
Mediation is private. Whatever is said in mediation will stay in mediation. So, you can be honest and yourself. Mediation is something most everyone should try. Why? Because it is cheaper and tailored to your needs.